Monday, April 25, 2016

Programming language/framework as a secret weapon

I recently tweeted:
Now, I do not mean that your team isn't more productive or better with the PL/framework of their choice.

What I mean is there's a lot to (human) execution. For somewhat similar tools, I bet your team can rock it irregardless.

But that's not what I'm getting at.

Some companies strive to keep their PL/framework a secret, fearing competitors would use it gain the upper hand. In my experience, it's already hard enough to convince colleagues to try a radically different language/framework, I find it unlikely. And even if the competitors suddenly adopt your PL/framework, it doesn't mean it's a good fit for their team. Or if their team is already rocking it with their own tools, would it really make a significant difference for them to adopt yours? It doesn't mean it's never the case either. I'm making general observations.

What I'm really getting at.

Keeping closed knowledge about your usage of a public PL/framework hurt your company and hurt the community. Your team won't get as much benefit from the community if they don't actively participate in online forums and local user groups. You're also losing the opportunity to sow knowledge that would benefit the community, grow, and get back to you!





No comments: